Frequently Asked Questions

How do I obtain an Emergency Judicial Permit?
You can obtain an emergency judicial permit for one year by having a judge sponsor you. You may download the form HERE

What schools offer court reporter training?
You may contact the National Court Reporters Association (NCRA), the National Verbatim Reporters Association (NVRA), or the American Association of Electronic Reporters and Transcribers (AAERT) to obtain a list of schools offering training in the methods of machine shorthand, stenomask writer, or electronic reporting.

Who should I contact to get a new seal?
Any office supply company can produce a seal.

Does the Board of Court Reporting recommend reporters?
Employment opportunities presented to the Board are posted on the Board of Court Reporting website under "Latest News" and distributed to all Certified Court Reporters via the Board Briefs e-newsletter.  If you are not a Georgia Certified Court Reporter but you wish to receive these and other official announcements through the e-newsletter, please submit your name and email address to

How do I file a complaint against a court reporter?
Please review the Complaint Procedures found in the “Public Information.”

You may contact our office at 404-463-3808 with additional questions or comments.

Is certification required if I reside in a state other than Georgia, but practice court reporting in Georgia?
Yes, all persons practicing court reporting in Georgia must be certified.

Where can I find out about continuing education classes
You will find information about CE on this website at

You are encouraged to check the “Classes and Seminars” list often as preapproved courses are added throughout the year. 

Where do I turn in my continuing education credits?
Submit a Request for Credit through your Georgia Courts Registrar account, at  This applies to pre-approved CE courses and non-pre-approved CE courses. For more detailed instructions, see the CE Manual.